On an average, plastic bags are used for 25 minutes and unfortunately, they take minimum 1000 years to degrade, thus polluting world’s oceans and lands. Most of the people are unaware of the fact that one million plastic bags are used every minute.
Plastic bags take a huge toll on our planet. It is non-biodegradable chokes rivers, oceans, clogs drains, causes floods, pollutes land, soil, water and air.
So, here are top 5 environmental friendly products which you can opt in place of plastic bags. So, make the green switch now!
1. An Easy Alternative – Canvas Bags: Thicker and stronger alternatives to the plastic bags, canvas bags made of cotton are actually more durable and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. In comparison to the conventional cotton bags, these bags are lightweight and cost effective. What’s great is that you can wash them regularly and reuse as many times as you want. And for those who believe in do-it-yourself, you can buy the material and stitch your own canvas bags.
2. Eco-Friendly Bags, Made Out Of Natural Starches And Vegetable Wastes: EnviGreen, a Mangalore-based company is providing India alternatives to the conventional plastic bags, zip pouches and cling wraps. What they are doing is simple – they are making look-alikes of plastic bags which on disposal can become food for the animals. The cost of one EnviGreen bag is about 35-40% more than that of a plastic bag, but, is currently the cheapest alternative available in India to plastic bags.
3. Trendy And In Vogue – Denim Bags: Everyone knows this for a fact that denims are reliable and durable. A denim bag in comparison to the plastic bag can hold a lot more quantity. These can be easily washed and preserved for a really long time. You can also stitch your own denim bag using an old pair of jeans!
4. A Step Closer To Plastic-Free World: Aarohana EcoSocial Developments company started by two IT professionals in Pune is providing trendy alternatives to plastic bags. What’s great is that the duo is upcycling the old plastic bags and converting it into new stylish fashionable bags. Today, around 200,000 typical small grocery plastic bags have been upcycled by the duo. Choose this alternative product in place of your conventional plastic bag and prevent adding to the growing pile of plastics.
5. Plain And Simple – Jute Bags: Another alternative to plastic is the good old – Jute bag. They are stronger, more durable and are bio-degradable. These inexpensive bags can degrade biologically in two years.