Oceans Day is celebrated every year on June 8 to conserve the water body through collective efforts and save it from the perils of human activities.
World Oceans Day 2022 theme is ‘Revitalisation : Collective Action for the Ocean’.
It aims at encouraging collective action for the preservation of the water body as the oceans are an essential link that connects us all and to make sure that the ocean is not harmed anymore but rather revitalized.
How Plastic waste in ocean has become a problem?
The day provides an opportunity to shed light on the problem of plastic waste in the ocean. The water bodies today face a large threat from water pollution and the problem of plastic waste.
Even though the ocean water is not drinkable, it is still a significant resource for the human species, however, the plastic problem is playing a key role in destroying it. Plastics can take up to several years to decompose naturally and off all the plastics, single-use plastic is the most worrisome.
Oceans have also become a dumping site for plastic waste that ends up degrading the quality of water.
5 Facts about Oceans that you must know
1. Oceans are responsible for breathing life into the planet as they produce at least 50 percent of the Earth’s oxygen.
2. The oceans absorb the sun’s heat, and 30% of carbon dioxide is produced by humans. As the heat is absorbed, the oceans transfer it to the atmosphere and distribute it around the world.
3. More than 80 percent of the ocean is unexplored and unmapped, which makes it an interesting area of the planet.
4. Oceans have not been immune to climate change. The year 2020 was marked the ocean’s hottest year on record.
5. The oceans hold about 321 million cubic miles or 1.34 billion cubic kilometers of water, which is roughly about 97 percent of the Earth’s water supply.